While we are always available to help you in your time of need, the best way to protect yourself is to prepare yourself for boat ownership. This includes preparing yourself, your family and friends with the necessary information to know that when you leave the dock you are prepared to handle the difficult challenges you might face out on the water.
This includes ensuring you have the information to leave the dock, safe in the knowledge you have all you need to return home at the end of your trip:
- Marine Transportation – https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine.html
- Office of Boat Safety – https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-menu-1362.htm
- Safe Boating Guide – https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/migrated/tp_511e.pdf
Other Canadian Sources
- Safe Boating Council – https://csbc.ca/en
- Discover Boating – https://www.discoverboating.ca/
- Boating Ontario – https://www.boatingontario.ca/cpages/boatingontario
- Travel Ontario – https://destinationontario.com/things-to-do/outdoor-adventures/canoeing-kayaking-stand-paddling
- Canadian Power and Sail Squadron – www.cps-ecp.ca
- Sail Canada – https://www.sailing.ca/
Remember no matter what you do on the water, its important to ensure you are fully prepared for all situations. This means completing the necessary courses and examinations:
- Pleasure Craft Operators Permit (Boating License) – How To Obtain Your PCOC
- Radio Operators Card – Marine (VHF Maritime Radio) – Upcoming ROC(M) Courses
Don’t leave the dock without the necessary skills to ensure you can arrive back at the end of the day.